By: ADP Canada
Employee retention and turnover are related. Many organizations use retention and turnover interchangeably, but they are different populations. Retention measures who is staying, turnover measures who is leaving.
In developing a retention strategy, it is important to understand why people leave. It is also essential to focus on why people stay.
An effective retention strategy starts with understanding data on both why people leave and what makes them stay, and continues with tracking data to uncover trends, new issues, what is working well and where there are opportunities for change.
Table of Contents
- Understanding retention
- What data to track to monitor retention
- When is retention a problem?
- Reasons for voluntary turnover
- Determining causes of turnover
- Addressing retention issues